it's summer time-- so you know what that means-- sundresses, tanks and swimsuits! if you're like most people, you want to look your best in everything you wear. whether you've been working out regularly or need to get yourself moving more often, celebrity trainer Brett Hoebel (best known for transforming the bodies of Victoria's Secret models Doutzen Kroes and Karolina Kurkova, along with celebs like America Ferrara, Emmy Rossum and Veronica Webb) has some great tips to get and keep you in shape this season.
Brett's tips for diet:
*if you don't want to cut out the alcohol completely, try switching to less caloric drink options: light beer, drinks on the rocks, and club soda instead of tonic or sugary mixers.
*try to stay away from, what Brett calls the "white devils" during your summer parties: sugar, flour, rice, milk, and salt. instead use agave, a natural low-glycemic sweetener (it tastes so yummy and even blends well in cold beverages, unlike honey), whole grain rolls, brown rice salads, and celtic sea salt as a seasoning.
*for long, hot days eat fresh whole fruit for energy instead of drinking fruit juice. even make smoothies using almond milk and fresh fruit!
Brett's tips for exercise:
when all you want to do is hit the beach, it's still important to get your workouts in. shorter workouts that combine strength training with anaerobic-interval training (my favorite kind!) work fabulously for burning calories and increasing muscle. Brett's Tri-Set will ensure you'll be ready for a day in the sun!
1. compound lower body
* start holding a dumbbell or just hands placed together (like a clap) up near right shoulder.
* lunge with left foot forward while "chopping" dumbbell (or hands) down and across body to outside of left hip.
* arms should remain straight during downward chop and upward return of arms to starting position.
*repeat this move for 10-12 reps, then repeat on the right side.
* without any rest period, move on to next exercise.
2. compound upper body
* single leg push ups- 10-12 reps per side with moderate to challenging weight
* without any rest period, move on to next exercise
3. anaerobic interval cardio
* run in place with high knees, 30-60 seconds
* say the alphabet: if you don't have to pause for a breath every five letters, you didn't work hard enough.
* REST for 1-2 minutes
4. repeat routine (steps 1-3) 3-4 times total
this workout, when done correctly, is tough and really gets the heart-rate up-- you will sweat! i love doing circuits like this a few times a week. be sure to also look out for Brett’s REV ABS program, a series of workout DVDS launching this fall!
here's to a happy, healthy summer!