Monday, December 17, 2012

beauty musings: back to basics...


looking back on the year, with regard to the blog, i found myself thinking about some things. so much has been going on in my real life and, as might be expected, it really did make an impact on my blog. i have been  disappointed, and sometimes overwhelmed. mostly because i continued to be in and out of rhythm with posting. so frustrating! why does this keep happening? it's not for lack of things to write about, that's for sure. my intention, of course is to get back on track...

that said, BGM will be 5 years old this month! wow...i can hardly believe it!

with this milestone, i can't help but think about when i posted my first hello along with the intentions of what i wanted this "online journal" to be. i imagined it would be a place to share my thoughts on everything; from beauty to books, health to movies, and throw in random thoughts on pop culture, art, food, entertainment...

from there, i got into posting a daily style look, how-tos for most every premiere or award show, beauty news announcements, magazine covers; i was running my blog and even, for a little over a year, held the  position as beauty editor for a very influential online website. it was fabulous!

but, it became too much for me and i had to take a step back...


i began BGM when keeping a beauty blog was relatively new. i sort of feel like i jumped on the boat right before the massive boom of beauty blogs took off! with that boom came much scrutiny from the print media. it seemed like they loathed us writing about products long before their "two cents" would be featured on the pages of their publications. PR people loved us bloggers; beauty buzz could get out to the public so much sooner than ever! of course, as we all know now, magazines have established their own {fabulous} online blogs and many of my favorite fellow bloggers are being featured regularly in those mags. they've found careers as on-air talent, authored some great books and become brand ambassadors...

though all of these amazing things have been happening {and continue to}, i am choosing to go back to basics {again}.

i love keeping BGM. it's beyond rewarding to receive emails from readers who trust my opinion and seek advice and product recommendations. i appreciate that i can work with industry pros and get the inside scoop on the latest and greatest in the world of beauty and fashion.

but, i have to be even more honest.

 reading my first few posts has reminded me it's ok to stay true to my own voice. it's ok to {again} post my intentions of being more transparent. i'm a wife and a mom, not a jet-setting fashionista. i'm human. and like everyone else, sometimes i veer off the path i want to be on. reviewing products, sharing the hottest looks from red carpet and premiere events and running giveaways are not a bad thing. i j'adore sharing beauty reviews and coverage of fun stuff related to it with you! but, there's so much more to me and you should know that i plan to publish more posts like this...just me sharing random thoughts. sharing what's going on in my life. it's kind of scary for me, but i intend to do it.

though, maybe not always this long, LOL!

so, that's that.

 thank you {from the bottom of my heart} for continuing to read.
stay tuned...


No comments: